No-Bake Homemade Granola Bars
Valentine’s Day is all about making snacks that’ll make someone’s heart skip a beat and nothing says “I love you” quite like a batch of homemade granola bars. You’re probably shaking your head at this point, but hear me out. Store-bought granola is commonly loaded with sugar and calories. By making your own bars at home, you ensure a healthy treat by controlling what goes into your snack. It’s so freaking easy—just heat up the oils, nut spreads, and sweeteners, then add the dry ingredients, press into a baking dish and let it cool. Boom. Done.
Warning: after one nibble, you and your loved ones will get bitten by the love crunch. Chewy bars will never compare.
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 ½ cups organic rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- In a medium pot, melt peanut butter, almond butter, honey, and coconut oil over medium-low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from stove and stir in oats and coconut.
- Pour mixture into a square or rectangular baking dish. Spread into an even layer and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, and firmly press down the mixture with the back of a spatula or clean hands.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until firm.
- Slice into squares or bars and remove from pan. Keep the granola bars in the refrigerator, stored in an airtight container with wax paper, or individually wrapped in plastic wrap.
- You can substitute almost anything like chopped nuts, seeds, raisins, and/or dried fruit for the coconut, or add them additionally.
- For a chocolate flavored granola bar, you may stir chocolate chips into the oat mixture, where they will partially or completely melt.
- Don’t feel limited to peanut and almond butters, any nut spread will do.
Adapted from fivehearthome.com.