It’s Time Your Pumpkin Pie Went Raw
Fall is in full swing and the holiday season is quickly approaching. If you’re looking for a treat that won’t reverse your weeks of diet and exercise, this twist on a traditional pumpkin pie is not only egg-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, and gluten-free, but also raw, healthy and packed with nutrition. This plant based pie is loaded with all the goodness of fruit and nuts while also being lower in fat, calories, and regret.
This recipe from Fully Raw Kristina on YouTube piqued my interest back in the summer and I had to try it for myself. So if you’re looking for a recipe that is healthy and delicious, a perfect dessert for the holidays, and one that won’t make you feel horrible afterwards…this is the recipe for you!
(Photo: Ethan Tyo)
- 1 small baking pumpkin (or 2 cans pumpkin puree)
- 2-3 pounds of pitted medjool dates (soaked in warm water for 10 minutes)
- 1.5 cup of pecans or walnuts
- 1/2″ chunk of fresh ginger root
Note: A persimmon is ripe when it is incredibly soft and juicy. It will look bad, but it is one of the sweetest fruits and is packed with vitamins and minerals.
- In a food processor, combine nuts, 1 pound of dates and cinnamon until you have a dough like consistency. This will be our crust
- Press crust into a lightly greased pie pan evenly. Place pan in freezer to harden.
- Prepare pumpkin by cutting off the stem, cutting it in half and removing the seeds. Cut off the skin of the pumpkin and dice into 1 inch chunks. (This step can be skipped if using canned pumpkin)
- In your high-speed blender combine all remaining ingredients and blend until a smooth consistency forms.
- Scoop pumpkin pie filling into chilled crust and finish with toppings of your choice. (I used chopped walnuts and coconut)
- Enjoy immediately for a gooey treat, or chill for a few hours in the freezer to harden up.