By Marina Guacci
With the cold weather, you may be noticing that your skin isn’t cooperating as well as you’d like. Why not eliminate those blemishes and dry skin with face masks that are festive, fun, and sort of tasty? Here are four face masks that will help you face whatever the fall season has in store.
Sweet Potato & Coconut
Fall and delicious root vegetable, such as sweet potatoes, go hand in hand. Some like them mashed, and others like them roasted, but have you ever tried them on your face? Yes – you heard me right – this fall themed sweet potato and coconut face mask is a moisturizing mix of beta carotene, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C!
Makes: 2 masks
- 1/3 cup steamed sweet potato
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup (dark amber grade)
- In a small bowl mix ingredients together with a whisk or fork until well blended.
- Apply thin application of mask to face and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes wash mask off!
- Repeat once weekly.
Apple Pie Face Mask
Homemade apple pie is the most quintessential aspect of the fall season, and while having it at college is pretty unlikely, you can make up for it with this sweet apple pie face mask. This mask will leave your skin acne free and smelling like cinnamon!
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Simply put all ingredients in a bowl (or mortar and pestle) and mix well. Use a fork or spoon. Just make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Then wash your face with a mild soap. Take about 1/3 to 1/2 of the mixture and place it on your face and let sit for between 5 and 10 minutes.
- I recommend washing the mask off your face in your kitchen sink to avoid clogging your drain (from experience!). Then pat dry with a towel.
- Store the remaining max in a small container. Refrigerate. Use within three days.
Chocolate Face Mask
Step aside leftover Halloween candy, and say hello to this refreshing and healthy chocolate face mask . With cocoa beans that are rich in antioxidants, this face mask will help protect your skin from dirt and grime, while satisfying your sweet tooth.
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, or sour cream
- 3 tablespoons oatmeal powder
- Using a small bowl and spoon or spatula, mix all ingredients until well combined.
- Apply immediately on face using a clean brush or fingers.
- Gently massage into skin.
- Lay down, and leave on skin for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
Pumpkin Face Mask
Last but not least, step up your “basic” pumpkin-spice obsession up with this easy DIY pumpkin face mask. With exfoliating alpha hydroxy acids and antioxidants in pumpkin puree, your skin will feel smoother and softer than ever.
- 1/2 green apple
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Dash of cinnamon
- Peel and chop the apple.
- Put it in the blender with the pumpkin until you have a smooth consistency
- Add in the honey and milk.
- Slather on your face and neck (avoid the eyes) and let sit for 15 minutes
- Wash off mask