3 Comfort Foods to Get You Through This Election Day
Let’s face it – you’re terrified for the Presidential election results. Both campaigns have been nothing less than controversial and the pressure to vote is at an all-time high. Here at Baked, we understand the stress of politics and encourage everyone to go vote. But what better way to destress than to eat? Calm your post-voting nerves with these all-American recipes.
Red Velvet Pancakes with Blueberries & Coconut Syrup
(Source: Eclectic Everyday)
Start your election day off with these indulgent and patriotic pancakes that would even make Ron Swanson tear up.
- 2 cups Bisquick/other pancake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 5-6 drops of red food coloring (add as much needed)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. coconut cream
- 3 tbsp. regular or coconut milk
- 2 cups of blueberries to add on top
- Put all the pancake ingredients in a large bowl to whisk and stir. Follow Bisquick or other pancake mix package directions. Add cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and food coloring to mix.
- Spray non-stick cooking spray onto a large pan. Pour pancake mix on the pan to cook fluffy pancakes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the syrup and stir well, until all the lumps are gone.
- When pancakes are all cooked, serve pancakes with the coconut syrup mixture on the side to serve or on top. Add fresh blueberries to finish.
Sweet & Salty Patriotic Popcorn
(Source: Mommy’s Kitchen)
Elevate your stress eating habits with this sweet snack while you’re watching the election coverage.
- 2 bags of microwave popcorn
- 12 oz. vanilla almond bark or 16 oz. package of white chocolate chips
- 1 cup pretzels sticks
- Red, white & blue sprinkles
- Red, white & blue M&M’s
- Pop the popcorn in a large, microwavable bowl. Place pretzel sticks in the bowl set aside.
- Unwrap and break the vanilla bark into smaller pieces or just put the white chocolate chips in another large, microwavable bowl.
- Melt on the DEFROST setting on your microwave. Don’t use the cook or reheat setting or you will cook the almond bark instead of melting it.
- Melt the bark in 3 minute intervals and stir in between. After the vanilla bark/white chocolate is completely melted, pour the melted chocolate over the popcorn. Mix it together with a large spoon, making sure all the popcorn is coated in the white chocolate.
Spread the popcorn mixture on a piece of waxed paper until the popcorn is dry. Add the red, white & blue sprinkles and the M&M’s so they stick to the popcorn mixture. Then put back into a bowl and begin snacking!
Red, White & Blue Sliders
(Source: Lauren’s Latest)
Don’t have a sweet tooth? No problem. There’s nothing more American than sinking your teeth into a big, juicy burger.
Blue Cheese Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 4 tbsp. granulated sugar
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 lb. ground beef
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onions
- Slider rolls or sandwich bread cut out into circles
- Preheat grill or stove to medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients for the blue cheese sauce. Refrigerate mixture.
- Form ground beef into mini burger patties the size of the slider rolls. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on each side.
- Grill or fry the patties for about 1-2 minutes per side or until cooked thoroughly. Let it cool for 5 minutes before putting together the sliders.
- Put lettuce on the bottom of the slider roll, then with patty, a few of the strawberry slices, diced onion and blue cheese sauce. Dig in!