Looking to ~kill~ some time? Love Halloween but are ready for the Christmas season? Try out this recipe for a Nightmare Before Christmas inspired pie. It’s sure to make even Santa Claus climb back up the chimney.
Jack Skellington Inspired Pumpkin Caramel Pie
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin purée
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 double pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cups thick caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat, combine pumpkin purée, salt, spices, and sweetened condensed milk, whisking until combined. Turn off heat, let cool for a minute and whisk in eggs. Set aside.
- Unroll one pie crust into the bottom of an 8″ pie plate. Pour pumpkin filling on top. Spoon caramel sauce on top, using the spoon or a butter knife to gently swirl the flavors together, without combining them entirely. (The top should look marbled.)
- Cover pie with remaining pie crust, using a knife to trim excess crust from around the edges. Use a toothpick to sketch Jack Skellington’s face, then trace with a sharp knife to cut out the design. (Tip: Cut the stitches before cutting the line of the mouth. It tends to be easier to slice that way.) Crimp the edges of the pie.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and cover the top with aluminum foil, so Jack’s face stays skeleton-pale and the edges don’t burn. Bake for another 38 to 40 minutes. Let cool before serving.