Homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
The best gifts are homemade and from the heart, but the best Valentine’s Day gifts involve everyone’s favorite treat: chocolate, of course. A homemade jar of chocolate hazelnut spread (a.k.a. Nutella) will make the perfect V-Day present. This devilishly, tasty treat is sure to please every Tom, Dick, and Harry.
- 2 cups hazelnuts, skinned
- 2⅔-3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup of butter, diced
- ¾ kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 15 minutes, or until deep brown. Let cool and remove skin if necessary.
- Grind sugar and hazelnuts in a food processor until smooth.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave, stir often. Once melted, stir in butter and salt. Next, whisk cream into the mixture to create chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Let cool. Serve or pour into jars for gift-giving.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations:
- If you’re not a fan of heavy cream, substitute it for ¾ cup milk and 1/3 cup butter.
- To make your V-day gift extra special, buy cute mason jars, ribbon, and labels and let your creativity go wild!