Cinnamon Sugar Toaster Strudels
After tasting the homemade version of your childhood favorite, you’ll never buy it in the store again. This flaky pastry is stuffed with a nutty, cinnamon filling and topped with a sweet spiced glaze—what’s not to like?
—Kate Bernhardt, food editor at Baked.
Photo by Teresa Sabga, digital director at Baked.
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 2 boxes frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Thaw puff pastry to room temperature.
- Use a food processor to coarsely chop almonds. Add confectioners’ sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and water. Pulse until well combined.
- Roll out 4 sheets of puff pastry until each are about 6” x 10”, then cut into quarters.
- Spread 1-2 tablespoons of cinnamon-almond mixture in the middle of half of the puff pastry rectangles. Cover these with the remaining puff pastry rectangles.
- Using the tines of a fork, crimp the edges together.
- Brush the tops of the Poptarts with the egg wash.
- Chill pastries for 30 minutes.
- Bake pastries for about 20 minutes, or until tops are golden, making sure to rotate halfway through.
- Let cool completely on wire racks.
For the glaze:
- In a bowl, whisk together ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and 5 teaspoons water.
- With a knife, spread glaze over the tops of the Poptarts.
This story was originally featured in Baked’s Fall 2013 issue. To read more, click here.