5 Students Confess Their Kitchen Screw-Ups

Everyone’s had a mishap or two in the kitchen before, but these stories have totally topped our list of oops-worthy moments.

unnamed
I picked up a rice cooker for free at a garage sale. Sweet! Then it almost burned my house down. Not so sweet.
Alfred Ng, newspaper and online journalism senior.

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 7.08.24 PM
Once I tried to make pistachio ice cream, but I churned for too long and turned it to butter! So I ended up making the mix into frosting for a cake. Delish.
Chloe Quakenbush, psychology senior.

 

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 7.08.36 PMI must have been in the 3rd or 4th grade when I got fed up with our refrigerated peanut butter—I wanted it smooth “like those Jif commercials.” So I put the jar of cold peanut butter into the microwave and turned it on…and set off what looked like fireworks inside. I never did get my peanut butter like those Jif commercials.
Mary Mik, psychology sophomore.

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 7.08.41 PM copy

 

My friend put cayenne pepper instead of cinnamon in French toast and served it to everyone at the breakfast table.
Jennifer Corletta, public relations senior.

 

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 7.08.51 PM

Put a loaf of bread in the microwave. Metal twist-tie burst into flames. Put wax paper in microwave. Wax burst into flames. Put an aluminum mug with a plastic handle into microwave. Handle melted off. I don’t like microwaves.

Kendra O’Connor, marketing junior.

 

This story was originally featured in Baked’s Fall 2014 issue. To read more, click here.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s