3 Ways To Enjoy Your Coffee For Finals Week
Coffee, Java, Joe, Mud, Cuppa, High Octane Go Juice, Rocket Fuel or C8H10N4O2. Whatever you call it, we all start every morning with a cup of coffee. There is something universally comforting about sipping on a hot beverage to ease out of groggy sleepiness and start a day. It’s a subtle luxury. Unfortunately, coffee becomes more of a necessity than a comfort during exam week. I like my coffee how I like my beer: strong, dark, and in the morning. But drinking the same variation every day can get a little boring. Here are three ways to break up the monotony that is exam week and spice up a warm cup of your lifeblood.
The Hobo Latte.
I started drinking coffee by adding a packet of Swiss Miss. If you don’t drink coffee very often, it can have an overwhelmingly bitter taste, but adding a little cocoa will help to dilute the bitterness.
- 1 cup of coffee
- 2 Tbsp. of your favorite hot cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Optional: Peppermint
- Brew coffee through a drip filter or a French press.
- Add cocoa powder, sugar, and a little salt to hot brewed coffee.
- Add peppermint for extra flavor, if you like.
Lattes are expensive. You don’t want to worry about your bank account during exam week, so become an amateur barista and make your own damn latte.
- Strongly brewed coffee, or espresso
- 1½ cups of 2% milk
- Optional: Cocoa or vanilla extract
- Brew some strong coffee. If you are using a drip filter, pour water across filter occasionally. Don’t flood the coffee grounds. Brew roughly a cup—you can make more or less depending on how much you want.
- Froth the milk using a mason jar. Pour 1½ cups of 2% milk into the jar. Tightly screw lid on and violently shake the jar for about a minute.
- Microwave milk in the jar, uncovered, for 45 seconds.
- Add warmed milk to coffee and spoon the frothed milk in a well.
- Add cocoa or vanilla extract for flavor, if you like.
Butter coffee is trending. Substitute cream and sugar for butter and get a longer and more sustained caffeine rush with no crash. This is science, Google it.
- 2 cups of coffee
- 2 Tbsp. grass-fed butter
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Brew 2 cups of coffee via a drip filter or French press.
- Add 2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter (make sure it’s grass-fed for optimal results), 1 tablespoon coconut oil, and 2 cups of hot coffee to a blend. Blend until concoction is thoroughly mixed.
- Enjoy your coffee—and A’s on your exams.