Your Leftovers Equal The Best Fried Rice
I’m don’t know about you, but whenever I cook rice I always end up making too much. Cold rice by itself is not the most appetizing, but with a few additions, you can turn leftovers into your favorite takeout meal: fried rice.
“Rice is great if you’re really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.”
- 1 cup leftover white rice
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- ½ cup thawed frozen veggies (carrots and peas)
- 4-5 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- Fresh cilantro
- Optional: protein (chicken, shrimp, tofu, pork…)
- Cook 1 cup of rice according to instructions, let cool, and leave in fridge overnight. Cold rice, without excess moisture, cooks better.
- Preheat fry pan to medium heat. While pan is heating, chop onions, thaw veggies, and beat egg.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to pan and sauté chopped onions until tender.
- Add rice, veggies and protein to fry pan. Add 4-5 tablespoons of soy sauce to flavor rice. Add more soy sauce for more flavor. Stir and fry.
- Add 1 beaten egg to the party and scramble into rice and veggies.
- Let rice heat thoroughly and garnish with scallions and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.