Nothing is better than breakfast, and no breakfast item more overlooked than hash browns. They are as American as the Fourth of July, and it’s time they get the recognition they deserve. America has a rich history of making things bigger—we turned buildings into skyscrapers, we took the hamburger and added an extra patty—and now we are going to do the same with hash browns. Whether you are feeling a little sick on Saturday morning or just want to chow on delicious grub, this is the perfect breakfast.
- 1 potato, peeled
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped peppers
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. freshly minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Place a cast-iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. While skillet is heating, prep food. Peel potato and grate on small holes of a cheese grater. Put grated potato shreds in a dish towel and squeeze over the sink to remove excess liquid (this is an important step in order to make sure the hash browns crisp). Dice onions, green peppers and garlic, and add to the grated potato shreds.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to skillet. Add potatoes, onions, peppers and garlic, and scatter evenly across the pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes without disturbing, then flip potatoes and decrease to medium-low heat. Add shredded cheddar cheese and cook hash browns for another 5 minutes or until both sides are crisped and brown.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately and enjoy with bacon and eggs.