by Ireland Walker
As summer approaches, the warm weather requires us to grab something cool and sweet to snack on. A fan favorite that is sold at all grocery stores but can easily be made at home with fresh and healthy ingredients is sorbet. Sorbet can be made with natural plant sweeteners and any fruit. This is not only refreshing, but also something sweet that you can make with your friends to capture all the feels of summer.
Popular Sorbet Flavors:
- Pineapple Sorbet
- Strawberry Sorbet
- Peach Sorbet
This recipe will require a blender or some sort of kitchen mixing device (vitamix, food processor, nutribullet, ninja). It also calls for a saucepan and a mason jar for the simple syrup that will be combined with the fruit. This sorbet is vegan, dairy free and gluten free as well.
(This whole process can be skipped by just using maple syrup or agave nectar, but we like the taste of the homemade syrup!)
- 1 cup of sugar (white or cane)
- 2 cups of water
- Mix together water and about 8 ounces of sugar in a saucepan and stir until the sugar dissolves. Let this heat for about 18 minutes, so the sugar can thicken into a syrup.
- Once it thickens, turn off heat and transfer the syrup to a jar or container to cool.
Making the Sorbet
- 8 oz of frozen fruit (pineapple, strawberries and peaches) *If you’re using fresh fruit, make sure to freeze it in ½ inch pieces – this makes it easier to blend.
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- Simple syrup or other natural sweetener (maple syrup/agave nectar)
- Grab about 8 ounces of frozen fruit chunks (pineapple, strawberries or peaches) and put into your blender with the simple syrup (or maple syrup/agave nectar).
- Add in about a spoonful at a time of the simple syrup and pulse the blender to break down the fruit and mix in the syrup.
- For an extra kick, add in a squeeze of lemon or lime juice and let it blend.
- When smooth, turn off the blender and spoon it into a bowl.