Valentine’s Day can be one of the most hated days of the year, but no fear, ladies! Who needs a significant other when you can grab your best girl friends, 5 bottles of Pinot Grigio, and these simple ingredients to start cooking up this year’s go-to Galentine’s Day menu?
Appetizer: The only bouquet you’ll need AND want this Galentine’s Day- Pizza Roses!
(Adapted from a Buzzfeed Tasty recipe)
- Approximately 5 ounces of Pepperoni slices (6 – 8 Pepperoni per rose)
- If you are a vegetarian/vegan, reach for feel free to grab 2-4 tomatoes instead of pepperoni
- 3 ounces Pizza sauce or pasta sauce (or leftover vodka sauce from the recipe below possibly any leftovers from your vodka sauce)
- 4 ounces Pizza dough
- 1/4 cup Low moisture shredded mozzarella cheese
- · Basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Separate dough into small sections and roll/flatten out until dough is about 8 inches long
- Place your desired sauce on the pizza dough
- Begin by sprinkling the 8 inch pieces of dough with your shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add your pepperoni and/or tomato slices, overlapping each other and filling up about 7 inches of the dough
- Add more cheese!
- To spice it up a little, consider adding some red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese
- Roll the dough up
- Place each individual Pizza Rose into a muffin tin (make sure use butter or spray oil to prevent sticking to the muffin tin)
- Cook for 20-25 minutes (depending on how well done you prefer your pizza roses)
- Garnish with a basil leaf and put any extra sauce in a dipping bowl!
Dinner: The only thing better than carbs…VODKA. Here’s how to use BOTH this Galentine’s Day: Penne Alla Vodka
Penne Alla Vodka
(Photo: Food Network)
(Adapted from a Food Network recipe)
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of vodka
- 1 14-ounce can tomato puree or tomato sauce
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 generous pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Parmesan (for plating/garnishing)
(If your cooking skills exceed our basic vodka sauce recipe, feel free to grill up some shrimp or chicken for extra flavor and texture!)
Directions for Sauce:
- Start by sautéing your minced garlic and finely chopped onion with your 2 tablespoons of butter and all of your olive oil
- Pour in your vodka but be sure to be careful when pouring over an open flame (can cause a small fire)
- Cook the vodka until the alcohol is reduced (about 2-3 minutes after being placed into the pan) and then begin to pour the tomato puree or tomato sauce into the pan.
- Stir until sauce is mixed thoroughly and then place on medium to low heat
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir sauce, again, mixing thoroughly
- Reduce heat to a low heat so sauce can simmer
- Lastly, add the last tablespoon of butter in the sauce
- For preference, add chili flakes and parmesan cheese to individual servings
- Add any grilled shrimp or chicken if desired
(And for those ladies who prefer to cut the cooking time in half, feel free to buy any jar of premade vodka sauce at your local grocery store)
Directions for Pasta:
- Boil water, adding a generous amount of salt
- Once water is at a boil, cook the penne pasta for 11-13 minutes (depending on how well done you would like your pasta)
- Drain and add a touch of olive oil to reduce any sticking of the penne pasta
- · Add the penne pasta to your sauce and enjoy!
Dessert: And once you’ve finished stuffing yourself with pizza and pasta, convince yourself that this dessert is your serving of fruit for the day: Mixed Berries and Mascarpone Cream Deconstructed Trifle.
Mixed Berries and Mascarpone Cream Deconstructed Trifle
(Photo: Necessary Indulgences)
(Adapted from Necessary Indulgences)
- 8 ounce container of Mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup of Heavy Cream
- ½ a cup of Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preferred amount of any mixed berries!
- Mix together in a large mixing bowl the mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and pure vanilla extract
- Start by laying your berries then cream mixture and boom! A deconstructed berry and cream trifle!
· ~ENJOY~calories don’t count on Galentine’s Day)
And there you have it, ladies. Instead of sulking about your ex-boyfriend while simultaneously playing sentimental Drake songs on repeat, cook this delicious and easy meal. You and your best friends can get drunk on wine and, quite possibly, the vodka sauce. Happy eating and Happy Galentine’s Day!