Devotees of the pumpkin spice latte wait all summer for the fall classic, but the Starbucks version many of us rely on is filled with preservatives, artificial flavors, and inordinate amounts of sugar. Thankfully there are other ways to get your PSL fix, whether your drink of choice be the classic latte or a potent martini.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 2 oz. freshly brewed espresso (or a dark coffee)
- ¼ cup coconut/almond/soy milk
- 1-2 Tbsp. canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- Pure maple syrup or honey, to taste (optional for sweetness)
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- Brew the espresso/coffee.
- Froth the coconut milk using the steamer on your espresso machine, or you can heat the milk on the stovetop. It won’t look frothy, but it’ll taste the same!
- Combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in a small container. Shake to combine (you won’t use all that spice, so save the rest).
- Combine espresso/coffee, steamed milk, 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, vanilla extract, and ⅛ teaspoon of spice mix. Add splash of maple syrup or honey if you’d like, and stir.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of spice.
Pumpkin Spice Milkshake
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- ¾ cup milk (or milk substitute)
- ¾ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp. caramel ice cream topping
- 5 vanilla wafers, crushed
- Combine pumpkin, ice cream, milk, and spice in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Dip a glass into a bowl with the caramel, then dip the glass into the crushed wafers.
- Pour milkshake in glass carefully and top with additional pumpkin pie spice.
Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- 1¼ cups milk (or almond/soy milk)
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- Stevia or other sweetener for taste
- Combine all ingredients except sweetener in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add sweetener to taste, and blend again.
- Pour into a saucepan or microwaveable container and heat, stirring at regular intervals, until steaming.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!
Pumpkin Spice Martini
- 2 oz. Barefoot Riesling Wine
- 1 oz. pumpkin liqueur
- 1 oz. cream liqueur
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Combine the wine, pumpkin liqueur, and cream liqueur in a martini shaker over ice (if you’re like me and don’t have a martini shaker, ice in a thermos or water bottle works well too).
- Shake well and strain into a glass.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg as a garnish.