by Kristy Kim
As the holiday season approaches, so does the amount of gatherings and holiday parties. What better way to show your love and thankfulness than to give some homemade crack. This is my all time favorite treat to make and eat but, we are going to make it extra special since it’s the holiday season. This recipe is not only tasty, but also easy, even for those who do not bake. Christmas crack is definitely a party favorite, and you might even be drawn back to this recipe to make multiple batches.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 bag milk or dark chocolate chips
- 40 saltine crackers
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- Red and green M&M’s
- Holiday sprinkles (for the merry effect)
- Optional: a handful of chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place butter and sugar into a pan on medium heat until combined and melted. This should take about 3 minutes.
- Once the mixture is bubbling, add the vanilla extract and ground nutmeg or cinnamon. Take off the heat once combined.
- Lay out the saltine crackers side by side flat on a baking pan, then pour the melted butter directly onto the saltine crackers.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes, until bubbling.
- Take out the pan and pour the chocolate chips onto the saltine cracker mixture. It should melt onto the crackers. Once melted, you can smooth out the chocolate onto a nice even layer.
- Add some red and green M&M’s and sprinkles for an extra holiday touch and put the whole pan in the freezer.
- Once frozen, break up the crackers into irregular shapes, store in the fridge or at room temperature, and enjoy!